May 24, 2010

Facebook: should we "jump out"?

When I was younger, so much younger than today I never cared about privacy and about secure ability to express my opinion. I just expressed my thoughts and feelings via blog or casual stories of my life or friends of mine. I was naive, open-hearted and free-minded. But several situations have taught me to be less emotional and more reasonable about my marks, judgments and information which I spread.

When I see all that buzz about privacy and all that worries and exclamations about some violation of rights towards common users I can only say that if you can stand the heat - get out of the kitchen. Seriously, do you thinks it's a clever behavior to share private data like your contacts (not working or office mails and phone numbers, but private one), certain location data and personal details as well as NSFW photos or stories? If there are things you don't want to share with others, you shouldn't share them - it's rather simple way of "security". There is no service, website, social media etc. which has a 100% security level. If something can be dangerous for your privacy - don't share it; but don't blame those who build the platform.

Don't think I support the idea of total control and 1984's watching-you system (in this case I'd rather be with opportunists than with supporters of total control which can cause the same situation as China, Belarus or Ukrainian 404uanet law can give). But IMHO there is no need to follow the Swiss banker in this case (remember that old quote: "if you see the Swiss banker jumping out of the window - jump out ASAP as well: it's a certain profitable opportunity"). People followed Swiss bankers - and jumped out of their stability "windows" into the crush of financial crisis worldwide.

Should we "jump out" today, when Facebook privacy problem is twisted and turned through the blogosphere and online news? I think, not. And not because of the Mark Zuckerberg's post. It's because of the common sense. Some organizations of FBI kind always had and will have a personal data for their needs - that how "the system" works. And if you have a naked photo in your "private album" via Facebook which is hijacked or stolen via your account - this is not a problem of Facebook's privacy. As well as the thieves using shared location via Foursquare or Gowalla or AlterGeo or any other services - they are not the problem of privacy settings of these sites. These cases are the problem of your understanding about what online privacy is and what kind of data should be stored or shared via web. So educate yourself and use a common sense instead of jumping out. It's much better for you than quitting the page.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

ПОПУЛЯРНІ ПУБЛІКАЦІЇ