Nov 11, 2009

lifehack: Screencasting in Linux and AeroSnap effect in Ubuntu

My "100 days with Linux" experiment goes on. With 2 useful howtos for today.

How to make a screencast in Linux (including Ubuntu)
I have been trying many applications for recording screencasts, recommended by different users. My intention was to make such video material that will be classified as HD video on YouTube. Besides, I tried to achieve the same quality of video and audio that I learned to get on Windows.

So, I can say that screencasting in Linux can be as easy as screencasting in any other operating system. The most difficult issue is to select the most suitable software among many and many available applications. In any case, I prefer using free open-source applications, so my search for suitable software was limited to free applications.

After dozens of videos recorded I learned one of the important lessons and here it is: Tip 1: Record audio and video streams separately. What this gives me is the control over 2 streams which I can edit, clean, and finetune. Besides, in this case synchronization issues do not emerge, and I have no problems with making audio and video synchronized.

The principle of my recording screencasts was the following: I recorded video and audio streams separately, then I edited and cleaned them. After that I combined them into a single video which I later uploaded into YouTube.
READ MORE >>>

How to make Aero Snap feature from Windows 7 available in Ubuntu
Ubuntu users can get a the cool functionality of Windows 7’s “Aero Snap” with a few copy's and a few pastes thanks to an awesome tutorial on the UbuntuForums by forumer gotsanity. Props and cookies go to him for this.

What Is Aero Snap And Why Should I Use It?
For those who don’t know what Aero Snap is i shall try and sum it up in on sentence.
Aero Snap allows you to minimize, maximize and resize windows by simply drag-dropping them to the sides of the screen.

It’s useful for comparing the contents of two windows side-by-side.

For example you have two tabs in Google Chrome open but want to view the contents side-by-side rather than having to switch tabs. Easy. Peel of one of the tabs, drag it to the left – BAM! Drag the second window to the right and – BOOM! There they are: -
READ MORE>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment

ПОПУЛЯРНІ ПУБЛІКАЦІЇ